Kay's Crab-Stuffed Mushrooms
These are for my cyberpal Kay, who repeatedly begged me to come up with a low-carb recipe for crab puffs. I tried and tried, but all my attempts were relatively pathetic. So I made crab-stuffed mushrooms instead, and they were a big hit.
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (6 1/2 ounces) flaked crab
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 10 to 12 scallions, including the crisp part of the green shoot, finely sliced
- Dash of Tabasco
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp cloth, and remove their stems.
- In a good-size bowl, combine the crab, cream cheese, mayonnaise, parmesan, scallions, Tabasco, and pepper well.
- Spoon the mixture into the mushroom caps, and arrange them in a large, flat roasting pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the mushrooms are done through. Serve hot (although folks will still scarf 'em down after they cool off).
Yield: 25 to 30 mushrooms, each with 1 gram of carbohydrates, a trace of fiber, and 3 grams of protein.
Warning: You may be tempted to make these with "fake crab" to save money. Don't. That stuff has a ton of carbohydrates added. Spend the extra couple of bucks and use real crab.