The quality of the vinaigrette dressing makes all the difference here, so use the best you can make or buy.
- 8 ounces small, fresh mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups vinaigrette dressing (homemade or store-bought)
- Thoroughly wipe the mushrooms clean with a soft cloth.
- Place them in a saucepan, cover them with the dressing, and simmer over a medium low burner for 15 minutes.
- Chill and drain the mushrooms, saving the dressing to store any leftover mushrooms in. (You can even simmer another batch of mushrooms in it when the first batch is gone.) Arrange the mushrooms on lettuce with toothpicks for spearing.
Yield: Depending on the size of your mushrooms, this will make about 12 to 15 servings, each with about 1 gram of carbohydrates and not enough fiber or protein to talk about.