This recipe will feed a crowd, so make it when you have plenty of people to share with.
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 teaspoons salt
- 3 pounds raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 cup oil
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons mixed pickling spice
- 2 teaspoons Splenda
- 2 sprigs fresh dill, coarsely chopped
- 1. In a large saucepan over high heat, bring the water, sherry, peppercorns, bay leaf, and 2 teaspoons of salt to a boil.
- Add the shrimp, and bring back to a boil. Cook 1 minute longer, and drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, lemon juice, vinegar, pickling spice, Splenda, dill, and the remaining 4 teaspoons of salt. Add the shrimp, and toss with this pickling mixture.
- Cover the bowl, and chill it and the platter you will serve the shrimp on in the refrigerator overnight.
- S. To serve, drain off and discard the marinade, and arrange the shrimp on the platter. Garnish with additional dill, if desired.
If it's going to be a long party, it's a good idea to set the platter or bowl on a bed of crushed ice in another container, to keep the shrimp cold.
Yield: This is enough for a party of a few dozen people, but the carb count will differ according to how big your shrimp are, of course! Figure 24 servings, each with less than 1 gram of carbohydrates, a trace of fiber, and 12 grams of protein.