A yummy twist on the traditional Saganaki and a perfect starter for afiery Mexican dinner for two.
- 1/4 pound pepper Jack cheese, in a slab 1/2 inch thick
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 to 3 tablespoons rice protein powder, soy powder, or low-carb bake mix
- Olive oil
- 1 shot tequila
- 1/4 lime
- Dip the slab of cheese in the beaten egg, then in the protein powder, coating it all over.
- Heat 1/4 inch of olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the cheese.
- Fry until golden and crisp on both sides, turning only once. Remove from the pan and put on a fire-proof plate.
- Pour the tequila evenly over the hot cheese, strike a match, and light the brandy on fire.
- Squeeze the lime over the flaming cheese, putting out the fire.
Yield: 2 servings, each with 3 grams of carbohydrates, a trace of fiber, and 17 grams of protein.