This is really good. Plus, as pate goes, it's easy to make.
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chicken livers
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon salt or Vege-Sal
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a heavy skillet over medium heat, fry the bacon until it just starts to get crisp. Remove the bacon, and drain and reserve the grease.
- Turn the burner down to low, and melt the butter and a little bacon grease in the skillet. Saute the mushrooms and onion in the skillet until they're quite limp (about 15 minutes).
- While they're sauteing, fill a medium saucepan with water, and bring it to a boil. Put the chicken livers in the water (make sure you keep stirring those sauteing vegetables), and bring the water back to a boil. Cover the pan, turn off burner, and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Drain the chicken livers. Put them in a food processor with the Sblade in place and pulse two or three times to grind the chicken livers. Crumble and add the bacon and the mushroom and onion mixture. Pulse to combine. Add the Worcestershire, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper, and pulse again, until well combined. Serve with celery sticks, pepper strips, or low-carb crackers.
Yield: 12 servings, each with 2 grams of carbohydrates, a trace of fiber, and 5 grams of protein