Dana's Snack Mix
You can buy shelled sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds in bulk at most health food stores, and you should be able to get raw cashew pieces there, too. For variety, try adding 2 1/2 cups of low-carb garlic croutons along with the seeds and nuts.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 1/2 cups raw, shelled sunflower seeds
- 2 1/2 cups raw, shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup raw cashew pieces
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- In a small pan, melt the butter and stir in the Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and onion powder.
- In a large bowl, combine the seeds and nuts. Pour the melted butter mixture over them, and mix very well.
- Put the mixture in large roasting pan, and bake for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Allow the mixture to cool, and store in an airtight container.
Yield: 18 servings, each with 14 grams of carbohydrates and 5 grams of fiber, for a total of 9 grams of usable carbs and 13 grams of protein.