If you've never tried the Greek cheese Kasseri, you're in for a treat. This dish is fantastically delicious, and has a dramatic, fiery presentation to boot.
- 1/4 pound Kasseri, in a slab 1/2 inch thick
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 to 3 tablespoons rice protein powder, soy powder, or low-carb bake mix
- Olive oil
- 1 shot brandy
- 1/4 lemon
- Dip the slab of cheese in the beaten egg, then in the protein powder, coating it all over.
- Heat 1/4 inch of olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the cheese.
- Fry until golden and crisp on both sides, turning only once. Remove from the pan and put on a fire-proof plate.
- Pour the brandy evenly over the hot cheese, strike a match, and light the brandy on fire. It is traditional to shout "Opa!" at this moment.
- Squeeze the lemon over the flaming cheese, putting out the fire. Divide in half, and scarf it down!
Yield: 2 servings, each with 3 grams of carbohydrates, a trace of fiber, and 17 grams of protein.