Simple Low-Carb Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 pound medium mushrooms
- 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage, hot or sage
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Clean the mushrooms. Remove their stems and use a paring knife to make the hole for stuffing larger. (Waste not, want not: If you freeze those stems and mushroom insides, you can use them for sauteed mushrooms the next time you have steak).
- Brown and drain the sausage, and stir in the cream cheese. Spoon the mixture into the mushroom caps.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Yield: About 30 mushrooms, each with 1 gram of carbohydrates, a trace of fiber, and 3 grams of protein.