If you throw in some veggies for dipping, this versatile dish makes a great snack, first course at a dinner party, or even a fine brown bag lunch.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 tablespoon Splenda
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (6 ounces) tuna, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Grated rind of half an orange
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small, heavy skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the garlic, onion, and mushrooms until the onion is limp. Add the orange extract and Splenda, and stir well. Cool.
- Place the cream cheese, tuna, parsley, orange rind, salt, and pepper in a food processor with the S blade in place. Pulse to blend. Add the sauteed mixture, and pulse until smooth and well blended.
- Spoon into a serving bowl and chill. Serve with celery sticks, pepper strips, cucumber rounds, and crackers (for the carb-eaters).
Yield: At least 6 servings, each with 3 grams of carbohydrates and1 gram of fiber, for a total of 2 grams of usable carbs and 11 grams of protein.